Mould is everywhere, and it is unavoidable. Mould grows anywhere there is maintained moisture, or where moisture has a chance to settle. Because of this, mould grows both outside and inside your.
Should You Be Worried About Toxic Mould
Mould is everywhere, and it is unavoidable. Mould grows anywhere there is maintained moisture, or where moisture has a chance to settle. Because of this, mould grows both outside and inside your home. You can find mould in your garden and on the sides of your house. Mould grows on brick and concrete and turns the surfaces black. On the inside of your home, you can find mould in the bathroom, in the kitchen, under your teenagers’ bed, on dog toys, under couches, and probably in way more places depending on the age of your kids.
It’s essential for you to know that a little bit of mould is nothing to worry about, as long as you promptly clean it (with bleach and water) and find the root cause. However, all mould regardless of colour or smell can make humans sick. People with allergies or asthma are also at higher risk because they have respiratory issues.
Mould Needs 3 Things to Survive:
2. A Growing Surface
3. Food (the dirty stuff)
What is Black Mould?
Toxic mould, AKA black mould, AKA Stachybotrys
Toxic mould is an unusual household mould because it requires constant moisture to survive. This means you’d need to be living in your home for a prolonged amount of time with a roof leak, broken pipe or a still sitting
In short, black mould is the least of your worries; instead, all moulds should be treated the same and are all unsafe for human health.
There have been recent articles stating that toxic mould is “secretly making your family sick” and online alternative health articles claiming of a new plague affecting millions called “toxic mould syndrome” warning of serious symptoms like memory loss or idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage. However, the Centre for Disease Control states that black mould should not be a major concern for homeowners-- As there is a very small percentage of the population that could have an adverse effect to the mould.
If you suspect that you have black mould growing in or around your home don’t rush to google it. There are scam artists on the internet that will insist you provide a sample and send it in for you to test for some good money. Don’t let them monopolize on reefer madness, instead get out the bleach and water and start cleaning. As the Environmental Protection Agency even states, “In most cases, if visible mould is present, sampling is unnecessary.”
In sum, all moulds are dangerous to humans, even the non-toxigenic types. Get into the habit of cleaning wet places often (i.e. sink drains, shower grout, houseplant potting mix, kitchen sponges, etc.); and that pregnant women, infants. Children, seniors, and people with immune deficiency or respiratory issues are at higher risk of having adverse health reactions to the presence of mould.
It is recommended to create a solution that is 1 cup bleach to one gallon of water to clean the mould. Also, always wear rubber gloves and a mask while cleaning, and ensure that
For exterior surfaces, you want to use a pressure washer—but make sure that all windows and doors are closed before you start spraying.
Dispose of all items if mould begins to grow on soft and porous surfaces like drywall, carpets, furniture, toys, etc. Failing to throw out these items will allow the mould to spread.
How to Prevent & Remove Mould
The best way to prevent regrowth is to ensure that the area does not become moist again. If this is unavoidable (i.e. a kitchen sponge, sink, shower tiles, etc.) then make sure you are doing regular cleans before the mould can re-grow.
The key is to keep your house clean, dry, well-ventilated, and unclogged. This is especially important in kitchens and bathrooms to avoid tile grout or mould on shower handles, ledges, and curtains. If your bathroom has gnats or a damp
If your home has flood-damage, you want to contact a professional. Typically, floods result in heavy mould infestations that are incredibly unsafe to live. Flood-damaged homes are usually also contaminated with chemicals and human waste which are far more dangerous than mould itself.
If you’ve had flood damage or are living in an older home, it may be time to consider moving as older homes are susceptible to hidden mould-- Or maybe you are thinking of buying a new home and are now worried that there is mould lurking behind the walls? Don’t stress, at PC275 we do our due diligence and make sure that our client’s homes are perfect from the studs to the style.
Contact PC275 today for a FREE buying or selling consultation where we will sell your home for as low as 2.75%. PC275 exists to serve families and provide an exceptional customer experience.
Feelgood@pc275.com or call us at 1(888)415-0275
Danielle brings a passion for creating a superior experience for agents and customers alike. With a Bachelor of Education she is able to quickly grasp new ideas and explain them in an understandable m....